Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Don't get too excited.

I'm NOT pregnant, nor are we even trying to get pregnant. We're just practicing :) However I want to hear from everyone what you think about the following.
Before CJ and I had kids I thought that every two years we would have a little bouncing baby, up until the point that we thought our family would be complete. But, once we had our first little bouncing baby boy, we realized just how much time and effort goes into a child. We realized then, that waiting until there was a three year gap might fit our family a bit better. So I want to know from you what you think about age difference's between your kids, your neighbor's kids, or your future kids. Do you think it should be decided for what's best for the parents, or what is best for the kids? What amount of age gap do you think fits the best? Let me know all that you think or what your experience's were/are.

12 comments:

  1. well, we are going to be trying soon. Josh was really close in age to his older brother and they liked it that way, and so josh wants that for Kaius too. I do too. Im finding Kaius is becoming more independent so a little easier to take care of. but a bigger gap between #2 & #3...cuz when all 3 are too little, you're outnumbered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love that you are "practicing". We are trying soon like next week lol I personally would like to not have to babes in diapers. And maybe a break from them. I don't think the matter of time between kids makes them more of friends. They can be a year apart and hate each other. Between my bro and sis there is about 3 years and it was great! We were all potty trained by the time the other one came along. Then they can help themselves a little more. Since I was so sick with my last pregnancy I am scared that I might be super sick this next time. But now that he is a little older he can help himself a little more. And if needed it would be easier to have someone watch him if needed. I think it just depends on what you think is best for you sanity :) Have fun! (sorry for the long comment lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang, i was hopin you were pregers! ha. Well me and my sibs are all 4yrs apart. To be honest i hate it. I never really was close with any of them. My little brother is only in 4th grade and i'm married? Its weird? I think the closer the better. But... I get your point with the whole having a million kids all under the age of 5 or something crazy like that! ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn always tells people that we are practicing when they ask when we are having kids. haha. I love it. ummm so I mean I think you should totally listen to evey word that I have to say. I am totally an expert (: But I kind of have the same thoughts as you. Have a baby every couple of years. After recently spending a lot of time with Shawn's nephews and niece... I am kinda wanting to re-think this whole thing.

    I want to have my first 2 pretty close together. like 2 years. And then I think we will wait 4 yrs and adopt our next 2 at the same time or really close together. That's my plan. I'm sure it won't work out exactly as planned.

    In my family there are four of us. I'm the oldest, and then kevin and then Curtis and then Spencer. Kevin and I are 22 mo apart and then Kevin and Curtis are only 16 months apart! So I'm only 3 yrs apart from Curtis. And then I'm 8 years apart from my littlist brother. I feel like the first 3 of us are super close. We have pretty much always been that way. And especially my brothers who are only 16 mo apart. They are seriously BEST friends. I'm sure it's different for every family but I think it has been really fun to be close.

    The reason why I want to have 2 kids close and then have a little 4 yr gap is because when the oldest 2 are super busy with sports or dance or whatever they decide to do then I will only be driving 2 EVERYWHERE instead of 4... and then when the younger 2 are getting busy with their stuff then the older 2 will be able to drive each other.

    Oh my gosh sorry that was was sooooo long!!! haha I will let you know one day how all of this works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that three years really was the best for me emotionally and physically but I don't like the fact that Jona and McKenna will never be in Jr. or High School together.

    George and McKenna on the other hand are only a year apart in school so they will be together two of the three years. While poor Jilli goes through them all alone like Jona.

    I really think that it's during those years when the close relationships are built. I don't know why but I do. I guess I'll get to test that theory out in the next few years.

    McKenna and George are only 17 months apart and that was really hard.

    I think anywhere between 2 and 3 years is ideal...probably closer to 3. There's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madalyn, I'm so excited I found your blog! You and your family are so cute! I found the link to your blog on Sherrie's blog. Hope you don't mind that I look :) My words of wisdom on this (since I'm an expert and have zero children, Kyle may count as one, not sure yet), leave a 2-3 year gap. I recently had the privilege of going on a week long road trip, on a bus, to California with my husband's family. He has 11 siblings, ages range from 40-17. This trip also included spouses and children. AND one of Kyle's sisters has 7 kids all under the age of 8. Enough said. Grand total on bus = 42ish. I may have rounded up or down, there is just too many for me to count them all. Yes that bus ride home made me almost schedule a doctor's appointment for one of us to get fixed. That's beside the point, but I seriously love that Kyle has such a big family. It's so much fun and we are all really close, even though the ages are all spread out. I on the other hand just have Sherrie, and there is 3 years between us. So I'm kinda useless on this subject. I still think we are really close. If we were any closer in age I'm slightly positive we would have killed each other in Highschool by fighting over the important things in life at that time; the car, clothes, and most important, the flat iron. Anyway, I think everyone has there own opinion on this, I'm sure you will know when the time is right for you guys, best of luck practicing!

    p.s. I think I just topped the longest comment on here with my novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will tell you my long comment later. I like Raquel commented on topping the longest comment with her novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have already talked to you about this too. But I will give you some annoying sister in law opinion.... I think that it does not matter how far apart they are, it is always going to be a challenge and take some time to adjust. But you do what you think will keep you sane and help you be the best mom. I like the two year gap between my two monsters but the next one will probably be closer to a 3 year gap. And then the next baby will hopefully come two years after that. (As if I have control over all this:) I just want to have them all here and have them grow up together. I liked having siblings close in age and I want my kids to have that too. It does suck to have two in diapers but whatever, you just do it for awhile. They are only little for a short time and then they become little helpers which I think changes everything. But I am also getting old and my biological clock is ticking so I need to get cracking on having babies. You on the other hand are still young so enjoy:) That is enough for now. Feel free to erase my comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mad just have another baby NOW!!! It's time.
    Traci what are you talking about your biological clock you are still so young. I hope my clock hasen't started.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i still can't decide on timing.
    on one hand, i don't want to get one baby out of diapers just to start all over again. also, i don't want to be an old mom.
    on the other hand, i'm not sure i can handle the physical and emotional strain.
    i think james is ready for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My girls are 5 years apart and I wouldn't change it for the world. If we choose to have more I don't want them all to be that far apart, but for going from one child to two, it was the absolute best decision for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are in the same boat. I worry about this too much. I think that with me having two kids right now would be very hard. I can't imagine having another baby and chasing Avery around constantly. Maintaining your sanity is important. Your kids can be really close but if their mom is pulling her hair out and sitting in the corner in the fetal position then they are going to grow up to be dysfunctional anyway. Hopefully I will handle multiple children better than this. I am 6 years younger than my sister and we are besties now. I think everything works out no matter what you do.

    ReplyDelete